Thanksgiving Day is a popular festival celebrated in America and is among the six national holidays of the country. It is a special day for inviting friends and relatives for a traditional family dinner. On this day, people pray to God and express their gratitude towards Him. Following the prayer, people enjoy the Thanksgiving dinner which contain lavish display of wide variety of traditional dishes. Thanksgiving dinner is quite incomplete without traditional Thanksgiving desserts and cookies. Thanksgiving cookies offer a tasty treat for parties and family gatherings on this occasion. The commonly used flavors for Thanksgiving cookies are apples, cranberries, pumpkins and pears. These flavors perfectly suit the essence of the season. Some popularly used spices in baking these cookies are cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. The common decorations used for Thanksgiving cookies include icings or frosting in brown, orange and red colors. For making special cut-out cookies, people often use shapes of pumpkins, pilgrim hats and turkeys. Read further to know some tasty Thanksgiving cookies.
Thanksgiving cookies are a tasty treat for people at family gatherings and parties. Read the following article to know some Thanksgiving cookies recipes.
- 1 cup Oil
- 3 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 3 tsp Vanilla
- 5 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 29 ounce can Solid-Pack Pumpkin
- 2 cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup chopped Walnuts (optional)
- To make pumpkin cookies, you have to pre-heat oven to 350oF.
- Now, take a mixing bowl and beat oil and sugar in it. Add eggs and vanilla to the mixture and beat it well till everything gets combined.
- Mix together flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt in another bowl. Add sugar mixture alternately with pumpkin to the bowl and beat well.
- Put chocolate chips and nuts in the mixture. Drop the mixture by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Put the cookie sheets in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until they turn golden brown. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
Cranberry Drop Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 12 oz Cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup chopped Walnuts
- To make these tasty cranberry cookies, take a mixing bowl and mix together the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add egg, lemon juice and milk in the mixing bowl and beat it well.
- Take another bowl and combine the dry ingredients. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture and mix them well. Put cranberries and walnuts and beat well.
- Pour the dough mixture by heaping teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto well greased cookie sheets.
- Place these cookie sheets in the oven and bake at 375 degrees F for 13 to 15 minutes or until they turns into light golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on wire racks.